DOCS Education’s free newsletter, Incisor, was one of ten digital newsletters recently honored in the nationwide 31st Annual APEX Awards competition as a recipient of a 2019 Award of Excellence.
Other winners included AARP, The College of American Pathologists, the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD), and Excellus BlueCross BlueShield.
Incisor, which is read biweekly by more than 30,000 dentists and team members, is a living encyclopedia of relevant, timely, and actionable information for all oral health professionals.
Produced by a team of award-winning journalists, under the direction of DOCS Education’s distinguished faculty, many of the stories published in Incisor are exclusives. They include timely articles covering dental science, practice management, legal and regulatory issues, technology, economics, continuing education, and pop culture.
Dr. Michael D. Silverman, editor-in-chief of Incisor and president of DOCS Education, began the newsletter more than a decade ago. His aim was to extend his company’s mission of educating the dental profession and keeping DOCS Education members and course graduates well informed about new developments that may impact them or their patients.
“We at DOCS view ourselves first and foremost as a community of dentists at the forefront of our profession,” Dr. Silverman explains. “Incisor is the ‘paper-of-record’ for every dentist and team member who joins us in our commitment to the highest standards of patient safety and care.”
Although subscriptions to Incisor are free, Dr. Silverman consistently pushes the newsletter’s editors and writers to emulate the finest journalistic organizations nationwide.
Among contributors to the newsletter over the past year are:
- Emma Yasinski, who received her Master of Science (MS) in science and medical journalism from Boston University. Her articles have also appeared at TheAtlantic.com, Kaiser Health News, NPR Shots, and Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News.
- Nancy LeBrun, a veteran health and wellness writer, and an Emmy-winning video producer. She is a former editorial staff member at WebMD.
- Timothy Hyland, who has more than 20 years’ experience as a writer, reporter, and editor. His work has appeared in Fast Company, Roll Call, Philadelphia Business Journal, and The Washington Times.
- Jane Schmucker, who reported and edited for more than 22 years at The Blade (Toledo, Ohio). She has also worked on the rewrite desk for USA Today in Arlington, VA.
- Maxwell Rotbart, who specializes in covering business, education, and history-related topics. He is the author of The State of Israel: Prime Ministers, available from Amazon.com.
The Incisor editorial team is also responsible for producing DOCS Community Digest, a print and daily digital newsletter that is distributed at each DOCS Education Sedation and Advanced Dentistry conference. The conference newsletter alerts registrants to bonus courses, special events, and other conference-only opportunities.
In accepting the APEX Award, Dr. Silverman also acknowledged the invaluable contributions of his team of designers and database managers working under the guidance of Cori Ricca, Marketing Manager, and Coni Fadigan, Chief of Staff.
“Incisor is truly a team effort, and on behalf of our team, I’m very proud to receive this well-deserved national recognition,” Dr. Silverman says.