Commencement speeches are a rite of passage for America’s graduating classes. Often famous, the commencement speakers seek to inspire departing seniors to grab hold of all the opportunities that their education now affords them.
Among this year’s notables:
- Katie Holmes, actress, University of Toledo
- Fareed Zakaria, journalist, Ohio State University
- Doris Kearns Goodwin, historian, Emmanuel College
- J.J. Watt, Houston Texans defensive end, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Michael Bloomberg, entrepreneur and philanthropist, Washington University
- Sonia Sotomayer, Supreme Court Justice, Manhattan College
- Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, Inc., Tulane University
- Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, Harvard University
- Yo-Yo Ma, cellist, Dartmouth University
- Robert F. Smith, technology investor and billionaire, Morehouse College
For most graduates, commencement is a time for celebration and anticipation. However, with all the happy smiles that adorn the colorful caps and gowns of the nation’s colleges and universities, come some bittersweet smiles as well.
After all, many of the friends who have been so close during their college years will now head their separate ways – perhaps only to see one another at the occasional reunion.
We Believe in Smiles™ photographers were on hand this year to capture the celebrations and farewells of a number of graduates, including these two friends completing their studies at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
Whether in great college towns, such as Charlottesville, VA, Madison, WI, or Ann Arbor, MI, or any of the “Say Yes to Education” cities hosting community-wide chapters, professional WBIS photographers span the nation in search of radiant, life-affirming smiles. You can browse an inspiring gallery of more than 750 WBIS photos here.
Daily on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, the We Believe in Smiles™ campaign posts a fresh portrait of an individual (or individuals) who reminds us all of the magic of a healthy smile. DOCS Education is proud to be the founding global sponsor of WBIS, whose message is simple: No politics. No marketing. No B.S.
(Photography by Avital portrait first posted online in May 2019. ©2019 We Believe in Smiles™. All rights reserved. To inquire about purchasing or leasing a photo canvass of this or any other WBIS photograph for your office or home, phone 844-228-4825.)