DOCS Education offers a training program for Master Series: Advanced Sedation where you will gain the knowledge and confidence to safely sedate medically complex ASA III+ patients in your practice, rather than referring them out. Presented by world-renowned doctors Anthony S. Feck, DMD, and Leslie Shu-Tung Fang, MD, PhD. It is worth 16 CE.
Pick from two different formats:
- February 25, 2023
- May 20, 2023
Individuals suffering from chronic medical and psychological problems are one of the fastest-growing segments of your patient population. Advanced sedation dentistry is the safest and least stressful way for them to receive care. This masters-level sedation training program will provide advanced clinical training for general dentists in the pharmacology, physiology, psychology, and clinical techniques necessary to safely treat ASA III+ patients with asthma, diabetes, bleeding disorders, and more.
Learn more about the course from instructor Dr. Leslie Fang himself by listening here:
Embrace the treatment of Medically-Complex Patients with Confidence
DOCS Education presents a new, case-based approach to advanced sedation training that will enhance your skills and elevate your practice. Dr. Fang, a respected Harvard Medical School professor, teaches the implications of next-generation medications and their influence on sedation dentistry appointments. Highly focused training will reveal a new methodology specially designed to present patient scenarios with specific conditions, and a thorough understanding of pharmacology to help you decide to treat versus refer.
This new curriculum will take doctors through a series of multifarious sedation cases from beginning to end, including surprise emergencies that may arise and how to manage them — a profound confidence builder. Stay up to date with new guidelines on hypertension, joint replacement pre-medication, and diabetes.
Don't forget the dentistry! Dr. Tony Feck, DOCS Education Dean of Faculty, discusses the ins and outs of the actual practice of dentistry on medically complex patients, which is often neglected by other CE providers. Learn how patients with different conditions react to analgesics, benzodiazepines, the stress of a long appointment and more.
You don't have to turn away medically-complex patients. With the Master Sedation Series, you can safely and confidently care for these patients in your practice.
Learn Critical Facts on Next-Generation Medications:
- New anticoagulants beyond Coumadin
- New antiplatelets beyond Plavix
- New bisphosphonate/osteonecrosis of the jaw guidelines
- New metformin guidelines for type 2 diabetes
- Learn A Dental Response to COVID
Scientific support and additional resources are available here.
The most important ingredient in the success of a sedation experience is a well-trained team!
Create the safest sedation experience possible for your sedation patients. DOCS trained dentists tell us that bringing their team was the best investment they’ve made to get the best results when introducing sedation dentistry. They love the recognition, challenge, opportunity for growth and the rewards of sedation.
While the doctor is in the Master Series - Advanced Sedation course, expanding their skills and patient base, the team will be learning:
- Science of Sedation
- Airway Management
- Basic Pharmacology and the Antibiotic Guidelines
- Patient Assessment & red flags
- Rewards & Relationships
- First Contact & Verbal Skills
- First Appointment & Exam
- Case Acceptance & Financial Arrangements
- The Role Of The Team The All Day Patient
- Record Keeping & Documentation
- Dismissal And Post Op Sedation
- Misadventures Emergences Marketing
"I brought some of the team with me, including two hygienists and our assistant manager—all of whom are extremely reluctant to try new things. I sat at lunch today listening with amazement as they told me what we need to do to implement this in our practice! Your enthusiasm is infectious, and I will be sending the rest of the team to this course!"
- Karen Harriman, DDS
(Hours - AGD Code - Definition)
8 - 340 Anesthesia & Pain Management
8 - 750 Special Patient Care
TOTAL: 16 hours (lecture)
Live Courses: If a course cancellation is received 2 weeks prior to the beginning session, you may receive a refund minus $500. $400 of that amount may be applied to a future course within 1 year. If you cancel less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the course, no refund will be issued. You may also choose to transfer to a future event within one year. Please contact your course advisor for more information.
Interactive Live Streaming Course: If a course cancellation is received 2 weeks prior to the beginning session, you will receive a refund minus $500. $400 of that amount may be applied to a future course within 1 year. If you cancel less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the course, no refund will be issued. You may choose to transfer to a future event within one year for a fee of $100. Please contact your course advisor for more information.
To learn more about how DOCS Education’s full range of courses can satisfy your state’s regulatory requirements, visit www.SedationRegulations.com. This unique online resource is kept up-to-date by DOCS Education’s full-time regulatory counsel with a brief outline of the latest sedation legislation by state and province. DOCS Members receive a comprehensive regulatory reference sheet for their location and access to the regulatory counsel. Contact one of our course advisers with any questions or visit our course listings to see upcoming classes.
- Premedication for Prosthetic Joints and Post-Sedation Analgesics
- Management of Sedation Patients with Stage 2 Hypertension
- Management of Sedation Patients with Stage 1 Hypertension
- Categorization of Congestive Heart Failure in Sedation Patients
- Management of Risk of life-threatening VT/VF in Sedation Patients
- Management of Anticoagulation in Sedation Patients
- Monitoring of Sedation Patients with Congestive Heart Failure
- History of Excessive Alcohol Use in Sedation Patients
- Treatment of Sedation Patients with Type 1 diabetes
- Management of Hypoglycemia in Sedation Patients
- Managing a Type 2 Diabetic Through Sedation
- Influence of Nicotine on the Sedation Protocol
- Obstructive lung diseases
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Restrictive lung diseases
- Respiratory tract infections
- Respiratory tumors
- Pleural cavity diseases
- Pulmonary vascular diseases
- Diagnostic Tests for Respiratory Disease
- Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Guidelines For Sedating the Patient with Respiratory Disease
- Sleep Apnea & Sedation Dentistry