Dr. Leslie Shu-Tung Fang is the John R. Gallagher III and Katherine A. Gallagher Endowed Chair in Clinical Excellence at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
A world-renowned physician, educator, businessman, and speaker, Dr. Fang received his Ph.D. in Physiology and Biophysics from the University of Illinois and his Doctorate of Medicine from Harvard Medical School. He is board-certified in both Nephrology and Internal Medicine and has been repeatedly honored as one of “America’s Top Doctors” and “The Best Doctors of Boston.”
While maintaining an active international practice in Internal Medicine and Nephrology in Boston, Dr. Fang also serves as a key teacher at Harvard Medical School and in Postgraduate Courses in Medicine. He has received numerous awards for excellence in teaching and is a highly sought-after educator. At the Massachusetts General Hospital, he was Firm Chief of the Walter Bauer Firm and was the Chairman of the Internship Selection Committee in Medicine for 13 years. At Harvard Medical School, he was on the Clinical Clerkship Committee and on the Faculty Council.
As a businessman, Dr. Fang has been associated with: FerruMax, MEDAcorp, Leerink Swann, Exit Strategy, Channel Three, LVI Global, WorldCare International, SpectraMed among many others.
Widely respected in the medical, dental, and academic communities, Dr. Fang is frequently a featured speaker at medical and dental conferences. He has authored many medical texts, teaching series, and reference manuals. In dentistry, his textbooks Principles and Practice of Oral Medicine and Oral Medicine Secrets have received rave reviews. He co-authored an interactive DVD from the EndoMagic Interactive Teaching Series, Antibiotics in Dentistry, a top-selling DVD in the Series. His latest publication The Ultimate Cheat Sheets, a Practical Guide for the Dentist, has been named Educational Product of the Year by Clinicians’ Report every year from 2007 to 2015. In 2016, The Ultimate Cheat Sheets was named a Classic by Clinicians’ Report.
A highly sought-after international speaker, Dr. Fang is on-stage over 100 times a year, teaching Medicine and Dentistry, and often acts as a bridge between the two disciplines. He was also named in the “Top 100 Clinicians in Continuing Education” by Dentistry Today in 2008.
Dr. Fang's role at DOCS Education
As DOCS Education’s Medical Director, Dr. Fang plays an integral part in the development of the curriculum, providing the medical backbone in sedation. He is involved in the teaching of Oral Sedation Dentistry, Master Series in Sedation, Pediatric Sedation Dentistry, Teen Sedation Dentistry, Sedation Recertification, IV Sedation, and IV Sedation Recertification.
In compliance with DOCS Education’s Conflict of interest policy, which is reviewed by the AGD PACE Program, Dr. Fang has disclosed having a financial interest in the Ultimate Cheat Sheets as part-owner, the content of which may be referenced in this lecture.
Professional accomplishments and business ventures
As an active businessman, Dr. Fang's associations include FerruMax, Protocare, Catalyst, Exit Strategy, Physician Dynamics, MEDAcorp, Biolink, Alphaport, Channel Three, LVI Global, and SpectraMed—among many others.
Dr. Fang has authored several medical texts, teaching series, and reference manuals, including Oral Medicine Secrets and two editions of Principles and Practice of Oral Medicine. His co-authored interactive DVD from the EndoMagic Interactive Teaching Series, "Antibiotics in Dentistry," has received significant acclaim.
Other award-winning works include Ultimate Cheat Sheets: Practical Guide for the Dentist, The Ultimate Basic Drug Kit, and The Ultimate Advanced Drug Kit for Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office, which was named Educational Product of the Year by Clinicians Report™ in 2007 and 2008.
His published articles include the following:
- Sonis, ST, Fazio, RC, Fang, LST. Principles and Practice of Oral Medicine. Third Edition. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, in preparation
- Fang, LST and Menhall, TW. The Ultimate Basic Drug Kit for Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office. UCS 2009
- Fang, LST and Menhall, TW. The Ultimate Advanced Drug Kit for Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office. UCS 2009
- Fang, LST, Fazio, RC and Menhall, TW. Ultimate Cheat Sheets. The Practical Guide for Dentists. UCS 2009
- Fang, LST and Menhall, TW. The Ultimate Advanced Drug Kit for Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office. UCS 2008
- Fang, LST, Fazio, RC and Menhall, TW. Ultimate Cheat Sheets. The Practical Guide for Dentists. UCS 2008
- Fang, LST, Fazio, RC and Menhall, TW. Ultimate Cheat Sheets. The Practical Guide for Dentists. UCS 2007
- Fang, LST and Menhall, TW. The Ultimate Basic Drug Kit for Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office. UCS 2007
- Sonis, ST, Fazio, RC, Fang LST. Oral Medicine Secrets. Hanley. 2003
- Fang, LST and Fazio, RC. Antibiotics in Dentistry. CE Magic 2002
Dr. Fang instructs the following courses
- Oral Sedation Dentistry
- Master Series - Advanced Sedation
- Pediatric Sedation Dentistry
- Teen Sedation Dentistry
- IV Sedation Certification
- 2018 ADA Policies and Recommendations on Substance Abuse Disorder
- Adult Oral Sedation Case Examples
- Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Valvular Heart Disease & Practical Issues for Antibiotic Premedication
- Cardiac Rhythm Review
- Coronary Artery Disease with Leslie Fang, MD, PhD.
- Coumadin and NOACs: The Rapid Emergence of the New Oral Anticoagulants
- Diabetes Mellitus: New Modalities of Intervention and Their Impact on Dentistry
- Diabetes with Leslie Fang, MD, PhD.
- Drugs that All Dentists Need to Learn to Use & Optimizing use of Analgesics to Avoid Excessive Reliance on Opioids
- Incremental Oral Administration Course
- Introduction to Pediatric Sedation – Local Anesthesia & Child Selection
- Local Anesthetics and the Controversy about Use of Vasoconstrictors in Medically Complicated Patients
- Master the New ADA Antibiotic Guidelines
- MRONJ instead of BRONJ: Yet another Beachhead? Implications for Dentists
- New Anti-Platelet Agents: Brilinta and Effient and their Impact on Your Practice
- New Developments in Viral Hepatitis and the Impact on Dentistry
- Opioid Safety Education
- Oral Sedation Recertification: Cardiac Rhythm, Airway & Case Examples
- Oral Sedation Recertification: Patient Assessment, Nitrous Oxide and COPD
- Patient Assessment Course
- Pediatric Physiology
- Resolving the Angst Around Antibiotic Premedication for Prosthetic Joints, Finally & Use of Antibiotics in Dental Implants
- Teen Sedation Dentistry Course
- For more online course