Dr. Roger G. Sanger, DDS MS, brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to DOCS Education as course director for the pediatric sedation dentistry curriculum. In addition to his education, residency and tenure at several top institutions around the country, Dr. Sanger is a successful dentist and businessman who has elevated pediatric dentistry through oral conscious sedation. His career and passion for treating children continues to inspire and educate others in the profession.
Dr. Sanger’s role at DOCS Education
As the designer, course director, and faculty for pediatric sedation dentistry courses for DOCS Education since 2009, Dr. Sanger continually imparts his knowledge about the subject to dentists across the nation. He teaches how to use the safest drugs, the latest technology with a NO MEMORY, NON-OPIOID oral conscious sedation protocol and stresses that child selection and safety are the most important aspects in pediatric sedation dentistry.
Professional Education and Academic Accomplishments
Dr. Roger Sanger is a graduate of the University of Southern California (USC) School of Dentistry. As a Mott Foundation Fellow, he completed a three-year residency and fellowship in pediatric dentistry from USC Hospitals. He then went on the faculty and attending staff at USC Children’s Hospital Los Angeles as Director of their residency program. He also was an NIH Fellow and obtained a Master’s in Health Care from USC.
Dr. Sanger continued on to join faculty and attending staff at the University of Colorado Medical Center, Denver, where he attained the rank of tenured Full Professor in Pediatric Dentistry, Chair of the Department of Pediatric Dentistry/Orthodontics, and Assistant Dean for Hospital Programs. He was also a WHO Fellow in the Far East for sabbatical oral health research.
Professional Business Ventures and Accomplishments
After a successful academic career, Dr. Sanger founded a private practice that became, through three decades, one of the largest regional multi-doctor, multi-facility pediatric dental groups in California, serving six counties and employing over 150 people. The group was a leader in establishing two children's dental surgicenters treating over 5,000 cases of pediatric oral sedation every year, a hospital-based practice, and an orthodontic alliance practice. He co-founded a non-profit 501(C)3 foundation with private grant support for affiliated school-based, mobile dental clinics.
When Dr. Sanger sold this practice internally in 2011 to devote more time to other dental entrepreneurial activities, this group was billing over $34 million annually through provider participation in Commercial Indemnity/PPO Plans, Medicaid, CHIP, Headstart, and Migrant Headstart. Over 40% of this production was surgicenter-based, with the majority being enteral conscious sedation administered, full mouth rehabilitation care.
Dr. Sanger also founded The Sanger Group which developed practice management seminars for national study groups and dental consulting companies. He is both a “wet fingered, in the trenches dentist” as well as a “leader in innovative practice solutions.” Dr. Sanger trademarked the terms “Pedonomics” and “Pedometrics,” which conceptualize the financial impact of pediatric dentistry in today’s dental practice.
Dr. Sanger enjoys helping dentists become entrepreneurial in the business of dental care delivery. He believes that the “pedonomics” concept using oral conscious sedation can make a meaningful financial impact on delivering pediatric dental care. He believes that dental care for children can be “better, faster, and easier” with the new game-changing technology in pediatric dentistry. He not only enjoys teaching through seminars but also mentoring through individual coaching. Dr. Sanger’s evaluations highlight his personal involvement with his audience through both interactive teaching and spirited comments appropriate to the subjects he presents. He believes that the “idealism” in dental school education must be tempered with the “realism” in dental practice, and he strives to bridge this gap through his seminars and mentorship.
Dr. Sanger lectures at numerous multiday courses each year as well as being involved in personal learning experiences courses. Besides being intravenous sedation trained, he has personally performed over 15,000 cases of in-office, pediatric enteral sedation with full mouth reconstruction. Other professional accomplishments include:
- Since 2014, Dr. Sanger has been course director/faculty for NuSmile Education of Houston, a private firm offering didactic and SIMLAB education in today’s game-changing, clinical pediatric dental procedures at UNLV, Tufts, LSU, and other contract dental organizations and service groups.
- Since 2016, Dr. Sanger was named Executive Director of the MCNA Dental Plan of Idaho, the State of Idaho dental Medicaid/CHIP program. He is also the Director of Dental Operations for MCNA in establishing new state contracts. MCNA is a subsidiary of United HealthCare specializing in the administration of state dental Medicaid/CHIP programs including Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Idaho, Iowa, Nebraska, Arkansas, and Utah.
- Since 2016, Dr. Sanger has been a consultant for Coleman Research Group, Gerson Lehrman Group, and AlphaSights in the subjects of Pedonomics and Pedometrics for Dental Service Organizations (DSO) and Large Group Practices (LGP) advising on national trends in population, dental workforce issues, and dental benefits defining future paradigm shifts in pediatric dentistry practice.
- Dr. Sanger is a Life Member of the ADA/CDA/ISDA and AAPD/WSPD/CSPD/ISPD, serving on many of their boards and committees. He is on the board of a critical care hospital of St Luke’s Health System of Idaho. Dr. Sanger is a mentor for entrepreneurial business start-ups in the healthcare and continuing education arena.
Dr. Sanger has authored two clinical textbooks in pediatric dentistry, hundreds of scientific articles, and textbook chapters while in an academic health science career. He authored a management textbook (The Entrepreneur’s Children’s Dental Practice) and numerous seminar workbooks. With fine attention to business relevance and a passion for writing, Dr. Sanger has been a contributing editor for Dentistry Today and a contributing author for Dental Economics.
Dr. Sanger instructs the following virtual, live, or online courses:
- Safe and Effective Pediatric Oral Sedation Dentistry (Introductory)
- Pediatric Oral Sedation Dentistry (Intermediate)
- Advanced Pediatric Sedation (Advanced)
- Advanced Pediatric Airway Management (APAM)
- Pediatric Sedation Dentistry Recertification and APAM Recertification
- Pediatric Sedation Dentistry Personalized Learning Experience
- Pedonomics: Shifting Your Practice into the Next Paradigm
- Pediatric Dentistry: Help for the Caries Crisis
- One Visit Pediatric Dental Care
- For more online courses
Dr. Sanger's warm and open teaching style, coupled with his vast experience and passion for treating children, make him an engaging and effective instructor.
Getting to know Dr. Sanger
Dr. Sanger was a dental officer in the USAFR Dental Corp and an Eagle Scout. He has co-written six books on vintage firearms including two on the firearms of Ernest Hemingway, leading to founding a 501(c)7 member collector organization. He is an avid fly fisherman, bird hunter, skier, and classic car enthusiast. He resides in Sun Valley, ID, and Carmel by the Sea, CA with his wife, Kathy, who is a retired dental hygienist and practice management consultant.