By Genni Burkhart
DOCS Education’s bimonthly newsletter, the Incisor, was recently honored in the 35th Annual APEX Awards competition for communication professionals as a recipient of a 2023 Award of Excellence in Newsletters-Writing, Entire Issue.
Other winners in this category included the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), The Ethel Newsletter, Penn State – National Retirement Security Month Digital Newsletter, and BioWorld’s Newsletter on Advances in Medical Technologies.
This marks the fourth time the Incisor has received an Apex Award in Publication Excellence. The Incisor previously won an Apex Award for Publication Excellence in Newsletters or Writing Excellence, Health and Medical in 2019, 2021, and 2022.
Some of the Incisor articles submitted for this award included:
- The Dangers of Health Misinformation Online: Fake News is Coming for Oral Healthcare
- Dentists See a Record-Setting Year for HIPAA Enforcement Action
- Amid a Growing Refugee Crisis, the Oral Health of Millions Risks Further Decay
- The Disparity in Oral Healthcare for Disabled Patients
- Dentistry Continues to Lag Behind in Equal Pay for Equal Work
- Yes, HIPAA Violations Regarding Online Review Responses Will Get You Sanctioned
- Sustainable Dentistry for the Savvy Dentist
You can find these articles and countless other informative and relevant editorials and subscribe to the Incisor newsletter here.
Who Are the Apex Judges?
APEX awards are based on excellence in graphic design, editorial content, and achievement in overall communications effectiveness and excellence.
The 2023 Apex Award judges panel includes:
- John De Lellis, Concepts Editor & Publisher.
- Kenneth J. Turtoro, APEX Executive Editor and publishing and marketing executive.
- Christine Turner, Contributing Editor of Writer's Web Watch and Writing That Works.
- Anne Gilio, Consulting Editor.
The Incisor’s Mission
Produced by a team of respected writers, journalists, marketing professionals, and editors, the Incisor reaches over 70,000 dental professionals on topics ranging from dental science, practice management, legal and regulatory issues, technology, economics, continuing education, health & wellness, research, patient care, pop culture, interviews, and issues around public health and the pandemic.
The DOCS Education Incisor Team Includes:
- Dr. Michael Silverman, DMD and President of DOCS Education
- Cori Ricca, Marketing Manager
- Genni Burkhart, Editor in Chief
- Susan Richards, Staff Writer
- Michael Murdock, Web Developer
- Molly Briones, Marketing Coordinator
- Coni Fadigan, Chief of Staff
- David T. Palmer, Esq.
- Freelance writers, including Sharon Boyd, MA, RDH; Theresa Ahearn; and Dr. Mehmood Asghar (B.D.S, M.Phil., Ph.D.).
When Dr. Michael Silverman, founder and president of DOCS Education, started the Incisor, his goal was to further the mission of educating dental professionals and keeping DOCS Education members and sedation course graduates well-informed about developments that impact them and their patients. Under the direction of Dr. Silverman, the Incisor is an informative resource of relevant, timely, and practical information for oral health professionals.
“We at DOCS view ourselves first and foremost as a community of dentists at the forefront of our profession,” Dr. Silverman explains. “Incisor is the ‘paper-of-record’ for every dentist and team member who joins us in our commitment to the highest standards of patient safety and care.”– Dr. Michael D. Silverman.
Author: With over 13 years as a published journalist, editor, and writer Genni Burkhart's career has spanned politics, healthcare, law, business finance, technology, and news. She resides in Northern Colorado, where she works as the Editor in Chief of the Incisor at DOCS Education.