It’s another award-winning year for DOCS Education’s Incisor, which remains committed to bringing you stories that inform, enlighten, and promote the highest standards of patient care in dentistry.
By Genni Burkhart
DOCS Education’s bimonthly newsletter, the Incisor, was recently honored in the 34th Annual APEX Awards competition as a recipient of a 2022 Award of Excellence in Writing – Health and Medical. Other winners in this category included the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, the American Counseling Association, and the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP). This marks the third time the Incisor has received an Apex Award in Publication Excellence. The Incisor previously won an Apex award in 2019 and 2021 for Publication Excellence in Newsletters.
Some of the Incisor articles submitted for this award included:
- Dentists, Let’s Talk about Our Own Mental Health
- In Umuhire Ntabana, DMD We See a Bright and Promising Future for Dentistry
- The Dangers of Health Misinformation Online: Fake News is Coming for Oral Healthcare
- A Substantial Portion of Dental Patients are Hearing Impaired. Here's What You Can Do to Help.
You can find these articles, and countless other informative and relevant editorials, as well as subscribe to the Incisor newsletter here.
Who Are the Apex Judges?
APEX awards are based on excellence in graphic design, editorial content, and achievement in overall communications effectiveness and excellence.
The 2022 Apex Award judges panel includes:
- John De Lellis, Concepts Editor & Publisher.
- Kenneth J. Turtoro, APEX Executive Editor and publishing, and marketing executive.
- Christine Turner, Contributing Editor of Writer's Web Watch and Writing That Works.
- Bill Londino, Consulting Editor of Writer's Web Watch.
The Incisor’s Mission
Produced by a team of respected writers, journalists, marketing professionals, and editors, the Incisor reaches over 70,000 dental professionals on topics ranging from dental science, practice management, legal and regulatory issues, technology, economics, continuing education, health & wellness, research, patient care, pop culture, interviews, and issues around public health and the pandemic.
The DOCS Education Incisor Team Includes:
- Dr. Michael Silverman, DMD and President of DOCS Education
- Cori Ricca, Marketing Manager
- Genni Burkhart, Editor in Chief
- Susan Richards, Copywriter
- Michael Murdock, Web Developer
- Molly Briones, Marketing Coordinator
- Coni Fadigan, Chief of Staff
When Dr. Michael Silverman, founder, and president of DOCS Education, started the Incisor, his goal was to further the mission of educating dental professionals and keeping DOCS Education members and sedation course graduates well informed about developments that impact them and their patients. Under the direction of Dr. Silverman, the Incisor is an informative resource of relevant, timely, and practical information for oral health professionals.
“We at DOCS view ourselves first and foremost as a community of dentists at the forefront of our profession,” Dr. Silverman explains. “Incisor is the ‘paper-of-record’ for every dentist and team member who joins us in our commitment to the highest standards of patient safety and care.”– Dr. Michael D. Silverman
Author: With over 12 years as a published journalist, editor, and writer Genni Burkhart’s career has spanned politics, healthcare, law, business finance, technology, and news. She resides on the western shores of the idyllic Puget Sound where she works as the Editor in Chief for the Incisor at DOCS Education out of Seattle, WA.